JOB POSTINGS - SINGAPORE/LONDON
TRAINEE, COMMERCIAL OPERATIONS, SINGAPORE/LONDON
Reporting to the Senior Operations Manager, your key duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Commence Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (ICS) exams with the aim to complete within 2 years to enhance further formal education in the shipping industry and develop some basic shipping legal and contract knowledge.
- Commence the development of internal and external relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Visit Epic Gas tonnage in port, observe loading and discharge operations.
- Visit Epic Gas tonnage in dock, observe vessel during repairs and understand the construction of a typical pressurised LPG vessel.
- Visit suppliers such as Bunker (fuel) providers, Port Agents, Insurance and Protection and Indemnity organizations, Ship Brokers, Shipping Lawyers, to build a broader knowledge of our partners and service providers within the industry
- Undertake 2 to 10 days’ work placements arranged by the Operations Manager to gain further industry knowledge and insight e.g. agents, brokers, P&I.
- Within 6 months: Sufficiently proficient (independently) being the first point of call (but always in the knowledge of having your supervisor to liaise with) for a fleet of 2 to 6 vessels.
- For Year 2: Epic Gas will organise further formal training within shipping law, with ongoing on-the-job training.
- Undertake further short term assignments in other Epic Gas’ Offices based in Singapore, London, Philippines, Tokyo, etc.
- During training the Trainee is expected to learn and cover the following duties:
– Liaising with and instructing Captain/Officers onboard our fleet for voyage instruction. Basic understanding on trade criteria.
– Liaising with and instructing head/local agent at load/discharge/bunker/special supply ports. Obtaining port/berth information, estimated DA and maintain good record.
– Providing timely and accurate vessel’s updates to charterers/broker. Maintain good relationship with charterers/brokers/agents/suppliers.
– Preparing timely accounting invoices on receivables for freight/hire/demurrages, etc.
– Timely checking/approving of accounts payable for services rendered to the commercial team.
– Maintain good accounts receivable/payable record through using various softwares e.g. Shipnet/Eyeshare.
– Administer operations related documents.
– Any other adhoc duties assigned from time to time.
- Degree in Maritime Studies or related discipline
- Work experience within the Maritime or International Trade Sector
- Basic understanding of main shipping/ trade terms, charter parties, laytime and demurrage
- A passionate, hardworking and flexible individual who openly communicates with internal and external stakeholders
- Succinct, polite, openly communicative and 24/7 access are key attributes to develop
- Excellent communication skills
- Candidates with EU passport preferred
Place of Work
- You will initially be based in the Head Office in Singapore (at the company expense) for 3 to 5 months of training. The subsequent intention is to be based in the UK.
- You may be asked to spend considerable periods of time overseas in the years ahead. Therefore, whilst the initial offer is for a Trainee’s position, we would expect the incumbent to accept this position with the understanding that we might ask you to move overseas at some point in the coming few years. If you are posted overseas, your salary will vary according to local cost of living conditions and company internal benchmarks.
- Until completion of initial training in Singapore.
Epic Gas offers exciting and rewarding career opportunities to bright and ambitious people, who have the skills and determination to succeed in a career in the maritime industry.
Our success is attributed to attracting, developing and retaining among the best people our industry has to offer. We place great emphasis on developing talent and maximizing the opportunities for our staff to progress within the company.
If you’re interested in joining our dynamic team, please send your CV and a short covering letter stating what you would bring to the team to: email@example.com
We regret only shortlisted candidates will be notified